RISD spends more than 60% of its budget on total compensation. Therefore, it is important that we have a staffing model that best meets the needs of RISD and individual areas that is consistent, fair and equitable, and fiscally responsible.
We have in place a process for the request and approval of non-faculty position changes. This includes new non-temporary positions, increases in FTE/hours, promotions/reclassifications, replacement positions, salary adjustments and term positions.
To authorize the hiring of a temporary/on-call employee, the appropriate cabinet member/dean must give approval before you submit a temporary/on-call employee request application.
Position Change Review Process Goals
- create clear and transparent processes to 1.) identify and communicate a needed or desired position change and 2.) evaluate and act upon each request
- deploy processes that help create and maintain a diverse workforce in accordance with RISD’s SEI goals and commitment to open and transparent job searches
- execute the process efficiently and deliberately as appropriate to the situation (in all cases, all parties should clearly understand the process)
- process each request with simultaneous and complementary evaluation of position-related factors (e.g., grade, title, job duties, comparable work assessment, etc.) and budgetary considerations and constraints
- maximize the effectiveness of constrained resources to achieve institutional priorities
Position Review Committee (PRC)
RISD’s Position Review Committee (PRC) is comprised of members of the President’s cabinet, including the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration, Human Resources, and others. Committee membership is subject to change periodically.
The committee reviews position requests on a set schedule, considering new requests and working toward resolving requests that require further deliberation and analysis. Following each review period, the committee clearly communicates status updates to cabinet members and managers with outstanding position requests.
Please refer to the process described below. Once the initial steps have been completed, the initiating manager submits a request via the PRC Request process in Workday. For information, view the workflow and see our step-by-step guide for creating and submitting requests.
Review Process Details
In evaluating requests, the PRC balances institutional needs and funding and considers the following criteria:
- The requested action allows for the requesting department to perform critical duties and cannot be met with current resources.
- The failure to approve the requested action creates an immediate public safety concern, accreditation risk and/or compliance issue.
- Availability of current or future funding within the requesting department or the division.
- Alignment with RISD’s strategic plan, initiatives and financial plan.
- New position: a newly created position within a department or division (note, a reconfigured existing/former position is considered a “Reclassification”)
- Increase in FTE/Hours: an increase in the number of hours per week or months per year
- Reclassifications/promotions or salary adjustments: an increase to the compensation of an existing position
- Replacement: an unoccupied position due to resignation, reorganization, retirement or other separations. May have minor edits to job description and title, however the grade remains unchanged.
- Temporary/On-Call: a position to be held for six (6) months or less
- Complete the temporary/on-call position request form to request a temporary and/or on-call employee hire.
Review Process Overview Roles and Responsibilities
- seeks conceptional approval from their leadership for proposed change
- reviews proposed change, current work distribution and impact of proposed changes with HR Partner.
- performs a full review of the request, determines the appropriate job classification, recommends compensation, taking into consideration external competitiveness and an internal assessment of comparable work
- provides department head/manager with information for Workday submission
- submits a request in Workday
- ensures cabinet member has the background and information to be able to discuss requested changes with the position review committee
- upon receipt of Workday notification, approves, sends back or denies the request
- if moving forward for PRC consideration, schedules or delegates the review meeting with the position review committee